Wednesday, April 21, 2010

This Was All Dairy Farms/The Road Just Ended at Fairfax Circle

Amidst all the new homes, businesses, and roads, it's hard to believe that once upon a time it was all just fields and dairy farms around here.
I remember when the populated part of Fairfax seemed to end at Greenbriar Shopping Center:  there was a Gino's Chicken that stands out in my mind (along with a grocery store and such) and not much after that besides the neighborhood of Brookfield, which was where we lived when I was a kid (and wasn't there a Dart Drug in that shopping center?).
My dad and I were driving to Herndon the other day to have an early birthday breakfast with his twin brother Tommy and my cousin, Scotty (unbeknownst to both twins), and on the way there, as we drove along Fairfax County Parkway toward Herndon, Dad gestured around him from the passenger seat and said, "This all just used to be dairy farms."
What prompted him to say this was that I was presenting my argument as to why he should keep letting me put his stories here, and part of that argument was that many people are curious about what it used to be like and look like around here.  I mean, nowadays, could anyone get away with taking gas from an airport under construction without getting chucked in jail and fined, instead of just some clever soul switching signs on the tank to teach people a lesson?  (See "Free Gas!")  It's fun to hear about stuff he and his friends would get away with.  I enjoy hearing his stories, as do my husband and friends.  Dad is also a good storyteller.  Anyway, he got all shy on me and said to "wait until he kicked off" to put all his stories and pictures here ("You have a lot of pictures of me there ...why don't you put some of ... Peony?" he suggested).
Anyway, we'll see what happens.  At least he will still tell me stories.  I just may not be able to share them here for a long time!

1 comment: