Wednesday, March 31, 2010

DT "Bill" Glascock, Who Did Whatever He Damn Pleased

My PawPaw was the old guy in the 1980s who had the station wagon full of stuff and would frequent the Greenbriar McDonald's and Shell Station.  Once a girl told me they (students at Chantilly High) called him the dog man.  He did always have a dog with him.  My best friend Anita didn't believe me when, after stopping at the Shell or McD's after school, we passed him in his packed-full-of-stuff car and I said, that's my PawPaw!  I had to have my mom confirm for Anita that he was indeed my grandfather and even then she eyed me suspiciously.
My Gramaw said that PawPaw could be talking about the weather and sound like he was cussin' you.  I love it.  Because he did have a fondness for cussin', God bless him.  I have inherited this fondness but must repress it.  So sad.
When PawPaw was a young man in the 20s and 30s throughout the depression and prohibition, he would sell his moonshine to a few lucky customers.
This is how it worked:
You gave him the money at one location, perhaps one of his stores or gas stations, I'm not sure, then he told you where to find the moonshine, which was hidden in a creek just over his property line so he couldn't get busted.
He never liked being told what to do and he didn't like asking people for anything, so when he wanted to fly planes, he built himself an airfield.
He used to run a tavern in what is the old Stone House at Manassas, VA.
That's all I've got for now! Bed time!

No comments:

Post a Comment