Monday, February 21, 2011

Dead Guy in the Back Seat

Gramaw would often tell me this story when we were wandering the Shenandoah Mountains, usually on our way to get spring water...

"Bill and I were out driving around when we noticed that a power line was down on that dirt road over there," she told me, gesturing to the woods beside Route 55.  "So we went over to look, and there was a man in the road, just laying in the road.  I stayed in the car and Bill got out to check on him.  He had been electrocuted by the downed power line.  Bill said we couldn't just leave him there, that we'd have to take him into town.  'Please Bill,' I said, 'Can't we just go back and call the police?'  But Bill wouldn't leave him, so we put the dead man in the backseat of our car and drove back into town.  The man was just sitting back there, dead, and I was afraid I would turn around and his eyes would be open, looking at me.  Anyway, we took him into town."


No comments:

Post a Comment