Friday, November 13, 2009

"Not Too Sure If I Had A License. It May Have Been Revoked."

Dad only had this particular motorcycle for a few days.  "It was too much trouble," he said.  But for the purposes of this story, and until I get my hands on his photo albums, this will have to do.

"Not Too Sure If I Had A License.  It May Have Been Revoked."

I had not heard the following story before.  The motorcycle in this story is a 1950 Harley Full Dresser--"Just like the one in Lords of Flatbush."

I was asking my dad to tell me again how he and Ronnie Hall tried to outrun the cops on a country road at night by turning off their headlights and navigating by the space between the trees.  The response I got from dad was, "That was Ronnie driving."  Pause.  "I was speeding through a subdivision on my motorcycle and a cop tried to pull me over."  

What's this?  I thought.  A new story; one I hadn't heard.  I disappeared into the kitchen and came back with pen and paper.

"'Tried' to pull you over?  So, you outran a cop on your motorcycle?  Was he on a motorcycle?  Did he have his flashers on?"  I inquired.

"Yeah, he was in a cruiser, a '57 Chevy.  Yeah he had his lights on.  I was coming from Braddock on an old wagon path through the woods.  You know you have to drag your feet because you're only going 3 miles per hour.  Had to go over a creek.  I got to Westmore and came roarin' up.  He came out behind me.  He was going the other way.  I knew he saw me." 

"So, did you slow down or...?"

"I never slowed down.  I went roaring down 29 and outran him, hid in Junior's backyard.  He must have seen me go through the gate.  When he found me and called in, he said, 'I've got one of Bill Glascock's sons here.  He outran me on his motorcycle.'  And they said, 'Give him a ticket anyway.'"

Dad pauses again for a moment, then says, "Not too sure if I had a license.  It may have been revoked.  I had a duplicate.  No computers then, though."

At this point my mom asks, "What happened?  Did you get in trouble?"

My dad replied comfortably, "Daddy cussed me.  Then he cussed my motorcycle.  He hated that motorcycle."  A pause.  "I probably got the ticket downstairs.  I saved all my tickets."


btw--my dad calls his dad "daddy."  And pulls it off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment